Simply changing your lifestyle habits can dramatically affect your fertility. Here are 10 things you can do to increase your chances of conception:
- Do not smoke cigarettes or marijuana. Studies have shown that smoking can disrupt hormone levels and have a negative effect on egg development, ovulation and implantation. Acupuncture can help you quit smoking, call to find out more.
- Maintain a healthy body weight. Being over weight or under weight can also affect fertility and hormone levels. It is important to get moderate exercise without over exercising.
- Reduce the stress in your life. Studies have show that stress can have a very negative impact on fertility. One study even found that laughter had a beneficial effect on implantation after IVF. For many couples trying to conceive can become very stressful. It's important to find ways to minimize stress, unwind, relax and laugh. Acupuncture is a great way to calm the mind and reduce the effects of stress.
- Eat a balanced and nutritious diet. There isn't a one size fits all when it comes to diet. If you would like specific dietary recommendations based on your individual constitution please schedule an appointment with Dr. Sesame Unlu, DAc.
- Take a food based prenatal multivitamin. Studies have shown that having adequate nutrition helps increase fertility. Many supplements and multivitamins are petroleum based, it's important to check labels and look for something that is phyto or plant based.
- Drink enough fluids. As we age, we tend to dry out, making hydration very important. A general daily recommendation is to drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces.
- Get good quality sleep. Sleep is an important time for regenerating the body, specifically the kidney energy which is the foundation of fertility in Chinese medicine. Sleeping less than 7 hours a night has also been shown to cause weight gain and to lower the basal metabolic rate. If you suffer from insomnia acupuncture can help.
- Avoid pollutants. Many environmental pollutants are hormonal disruptors. While some environmental factors may be out of your control, it's important to minimize the impact where you can. Toxins can be found in common household products, including cleaning supplies and food containers. Avoid: heavy metals, pesticides, BPA, DES, Dioxin, PCBs, alkylphenols, phthalates, industrial chemicals and solvents.